PHYTOBS network studies microphytoplankton diversity in the hydrological context along French coasts under gradients of anthropogenic pressures. PHYTOBS network allows to analyse the responses of phytoplankton communities to environmental changes, to assess the quality of the coastal environment through indicators, to define ecological niches, to detect variations in bloom phenology, and to support any scientific question by providing data.
PHYTOBS network plays also a key role for the scientific community networking allowing dissemination of knowledge and strengthening of skills. Workshops and scientific meetings are organized each year between PHYTOBS partners.
The PHYTOBS network has to provide validated and qualified data for the scientific community and stakeholders, in order to improve knowledge regarding biomass, abundance and composition of marine phytoplankton in coastal and lagoon waters in their hydrological context.
Two networks are at the origin of the PHYTOBS network. The historical REPHY (French Observation and Monitoring program for Phytoplankton and Hydrology in coastal waters) supported by Ifremer since 1984 and the SOMLIT (Service d'observation en milieu littoral) supported by INSU-CNRS since 1995. The monitoring has started in 1987 on some sites and later in others.
Sites : 25 sites along French metropolitan coast
Monitoring frequency : fortnightly
First measurement: 1987
Instituts and labs involved :
- Ifremer (sites of Boulogne, Port en Bessin, Dinard, Concarneau, Brest, Nantes, La Tremblade, Arcachon, Sète, Toulon)
- Université de Lille, ULCO, UMR LOG, Station Marine de Wimereux
- Université de Caen Normandie, FRE BOREA, CREC – Station Marine
- Sorbonne Université, Station Biologique de Roscoff
- Université de Bretagne Occidentale, IUEM, UMR LEMAR
- Rochelle Université, UMR LIENSs
- Université de Bordeaux, UMR EPOC, Station Marine d’Arcachon, OASU
- Université de Montpellier, UMR MARBEC, OSU OMERE
- Sorbonne Université, Observatoire Océanologique de Banyuls
- Aix Marseille Université, UMR MIO, Institut Pythéas :
- Sorbonne Université et CNRS, UMR 7093 LOV
Agence de l'eau Adour-Garonne (AEAG) ; Agence de l'eau Artois-Picardie (AEAP) ; Agence de l'eau Seine-Normandie (AESN) ; Agence de l'eau Loire-Bretagne (AELB) ; Agence de l'eau Rhône-Méditerranée-Corse (AERMC) ; Institut français de recherche pour l’exploitation de la mer (Ifremer) ; CNRS.
Data preview and download are available from the PHYTOBS website.
You are free to use the data available on this website. Please make sure you do the right citation of the DOI: “XXXXX”
It is strongly recommended to contact the data provider (ie the lab that produced the data): please find the contact in the station page.